Walking is currently the most popular kind of physical exercise in the world, with research from the United Kingdom and the United States revealing that its prevalence is two to three times that of the following most often reported activities. Walking 9 km daily is possible and great for fitness goals such as burning calories and staying active. Walking 9 km is not a long distance. It is an achievable distance for everyone if the person is fit, not ill, or has no other physical problems. So, how long does it take to walk 9 km?
Generally, a healthy person takes approximately 1 hour 30 minutes to 1 hour 48 minutes to walk 9 km. For example, walking at 5 km/h takes 1 hour 48 minutes; at 6.5 km/h, it takes 1 hour 30 minutes.
Note: The walking time may vary based on various factors, including your walking speed, age, gender, fitness level, terrain, and path.
Keep scrolling to know.
- How Long Does It Take To Walk 9 Km based on your walking speed
- 9 km: Average Walking Time by Age and Gender
- How Long Will 9 km Take on the Treadmill
- How Many Steps Are in 9 km
- Benefits Of Walking 9 Km
- Tips For Walking 9 Km
How Long are 9 Km? 9 km equals 5.6 miles and 29527 feet.
How Long Does It Take To Walk 9 Km?
The speed at which you walk is a significant factor in determining how long it will take you to walk 9 km. Here are some general estimates based on different walking speeds:
|Walking Speed||Time for 9 km of walking|
|Slow walk (4 km/h) / 60 to 79steps per minute/ 15 minutes per kilometer||2 hours and 15 minutes|
|Easy Walk (5 km/h)/ 80 to 99 steps per minute/ 12 minutes per kilometer||1 hour and 48 minutes|
|Moderate Walk (6.5 km/h)/ 100 to 119 steps per minute/10 minutes per kilometer||1 hour and 30 minutes|
|Fast Walk (8 km/h)/ 120+ steps per minute/ 7.5 minutes per kilometer||1 hour and 8 minutes|
9 km: Average Walking Time by Age and Gender
Age and gender can also affect your walking speed. For instance, males aged 20-29 can walk 9 km in 1 hour and 50 minutes with an average speed of 4.89 km/h, while females of the same age range can walk it in 1 hour and 52 minutes with an average speed of 4.82 km/h. Here are some estimates based on age and gender:
|Age||Gender||Average speed (Km/h)||How long does it take to walk 9 km|
|20-29||Male||4.89||1 hr 50 min|
|Female||4.82||1 hr 52 min|
|30-39||Male||5.14||1 hr 45 min|
|Female||4.82||1 hr 52 min|
|40-49||Male||5.14||1 hr 45 min|
|Female||5.00||1 hr 48 min|
|50-59||Male||5.14||1 hr 45 min|
|Female||4.71||1 hr 55 min|
|60-69||Male||4.82||1 hr 52 min|
|Female||4.45||2 hrs 01 min|
|70-79||Male||4.53||1 hr 59 min|
|Female||4.07||2 hrs 13 min|
|80-89||Male||3.49||2 hrs 35 min|
|Female||3.37||2 hrs 40 min|
How Long Will 9 km Take on the Treadmill?
On a treadmill, the time it takes to walk 9 km also depends on the speed set. For example, walking at 4.82 km/h on a treadmill would take around 1 hour and 52 minutes, while walking at 6.76 km/h would take about 1 hour and 20 minutes.
|Treadmill Speed/Miles per hour (mph)||km per hour (km/h)||Time need for 9 km|
|2.5||4.00||2 hrs 15 min|
|3.0||4.82||1 hr 52 min|
|3.1||4.99||1 hr 48 min|
|3.2||5.15||1 hr 45 min|
|3.3||5.31||1 hr 42 min|
|3.4||5.48||1 hr 39 min|
|3.5||5.63||1 hr 36 min|
|3.6||5.80||1 hr 33 min|
|3.7||5.95||1 hr 31 min|
|3.8||6.11||1 hr 28 min|
|3.9||6.27||1 hr 26min|
|4.0||6.44||1 hr 24 min|
|4.1||6.60||1 hr 22 min|
|4.2||6.76||1 hr 20 min|
|4.3||6.92||1 hr 18 min|
|4.4||7.00||1 hr 17 min|
|4.5||7.24||1 hr 15 min|
|5.0||8.04||1 hr 7 min|
How Many Steps Are in 9 km?
The number of steps necessary to travel a distance of 9 Km will vary depending on factors such as the length of your stride, the pace at which you walk, the terrain, and your fitness level.
On average, A person who walks at a modest pace and has an average stride length of 2.5 feet (0.76 meters) will take between 11,000 and 13,000 steps to walk 9 km. But if you have a longer stride length, you may need fewer steps to cover the same area, and if you have a shorter stride length, you may need more steps.
It is essential to note that the number of steps required to cover a distance of 9 Km will also depend on the frequency and duration of breaks. Consequently, the necessary number of steps can differ considerably based on the specifics of each situation.
Benefits Of Walking 9 Km
Walking 9 km can offer numerous benefits for your physical and mental health. Here are some of the benefits you can expect:
- Improved cardiovascular health: Walking 9 km can help improve your heart health by increasing your heart rate and blood circulation. This can reduce the risk of developing heart disease and stroke.
- Enhanced endurance and stamina: Regular walking can help improve your endurance and stamina, making it easier to perform daily activities and exercise for extended periods.
- Reduced stress and anxiety: Walking can help reduce stress and anxiety levels, improve mood, and promote relaxation. This can have a positive impact on your mental health and well-being.
- Weight loss and management: Walking 9 km can burn a significant amount of calories, which can help with weight loss and weight management. This can also improve your body composition by reducing body fat and increasing muscle mass.
- Stronger bones and muscles: Walking can help build bone density and muscle strength, reducing the risk of osteoporosis and falls. This can also improve your balance and coordination.
- Improved digestion and metabolism: Walking can help improve digestion and metabolism, aiding in weight loss and overall health.
- Lowered risk of chronic diseases: Regular walking can help reduce the risk of developing chronic diseases such as diabetes, cancer, and Alzheimer’s. This can improve your overall health and quality of life.
In addition to these physical benefits, walking 9 km can also provide mental and emotional benefits such as improved self-esteem, reduced stress levels, and better sleep quality. So, if you have the time and energy to walk 9 km, it can be a great way to improve your health and well-being.
Tips For Walking 9 Km
If you’re planning to walk 9 km, here are some tips to help you prepare and make the most of your walk:
- Wear comfortable shoes: Choose a pair of walking shoes that fit well and support your feet. Avoid wearing new shoes on longer walks to prevent blisters or discomfort.
- Dress appropriately: Wear comfortable, breathable clothing that allows you to move freely and stay calm. Consider wearing layers if the weather is cold or might change during your walk.
- Stay hydrated: Bring a water bottle or hydration pack and drink regularly throughout your walk to stay hydrated.
- Fuel your body: Eat a healthy meal or snack before your walk to fuel your body with the energy it needs. Consider bringing a small snack, such as a banana or energy bar, to eat during your walk.
- Plan your route: Choose a safe and enjoyable way with suitable walking surfaces and minimal traffic. Consider using a map or GPS to track your progress and avoid getting lost.
- Take breaks: Regular breaks to rest, stretch, and rehydrate during your walk. This can help prevent fatigue and injury.
- Listen to your body: Pay attention to how your body feels during your walk and adjust your pace or route if needed. If you experience pain or discomfort, stop walking and seek medical attention if necessary.
Following these tips, you can enjoy a safe, comfortable, and rewarding 9 km walk. Remember to start comfortably, listen to your body, and enjoy the scenery.
The time it takes to walk 9 km can vary depending on several factors, such as walking speed, terrain, weather conditions, individual fitness level, age, and gender. However, regardless of how long it takes, walking is an excellent form of exercise that offers numerous health benefits. So, whether you are walking for exercise, transportation, or leisure, making walking a part of your daily routine is essential.
Get More Info: