On average, it takes 1 hr 36 min for a healthy person to walk 8 km at a speed of 5 km/h. Honestly, this is a good time spent in an exercise, and walking is no less.
Walking is a low-intensity cardio exercise, good for those who cannot manage a high-intensity workout and those who want less pressure from exercise. It also doesn’t require any investment; save for the shoes you use to hit the road comfortably.
How long is 8km? It is 4.9 miles, A 8-kilometer (8K) walk is 4.9 miles long.
How Long Does It Take to Walk 8 Km?
A spectrum of factors dictates the actual duration an individual would take to walk 8 km. These factors include speed, health condition, fitness level, age and gender.
For example, 96 minutes is the average time to walk 8 km at a 5 km/h speed. However, if you were to walk casually at a slow speed of 3 km/h, the time taken would increase to 160 minutes. Likewise, you would expect an individual with an injury to walk slower compared to a healthy and fit person, and so on.
|Walking Speed||Time for 8 km walking|
|Slow walk (3 kph) / 60 to 79 steps per minute/ 20 minutes per kilometer||2 hours and 40 minutes|
|Easy Walk (5 kph)/ 80 to 99 steps per minute/ 12 minutes per kilometer||1 hour and 36 minutes|
|Moderate Walk (6 kph)/ 100 to 119 steps per minute/10 minutes per kilometer||1 hour and 12 minutes|
|Fast Walk (8 kph)/ 120+ steps per minute/ 7.5 minutes per kilometer||1 hour|
8 Km: Average Walking Times by Age and Gender
Technically, men walk faster than women, which means that they take a shorter time to walk 8 km as well. Similarly, young people walk faster than seniors in most cases, hence need a shorter time to complete the 8km walk. This is because older people are limited by depreciating muscle and bone mass and several health factors, which young people don’t have to deal with in normal circumstances.
|AGE||GENDER||SPEED KM/HR||Average Time for 8 km|
|20 to 29||Male||4.8||1 hr 38 min|
|Female||4.8||1 hr 39 min|
|30 to 39||Male||5.1||1 hr 33 min|
|Female||4.8||1 hr 39 min|
|40 to 49||Male||5.1||1 hr 33 min|
|Female||5||1 hr 36 min|
|50 to 59||Male||5.1||1 hr 33 min|
|Female||4.7||1 hr 42 min|
|60 to 69||Male||4.8||1 hr 39 min|
|Female||4.4||1 hr 48 min|
|70 to 79||Male||4.5||1 hr 45 min|
|Female||4||1 hr 58 min|
|80 to 89||Male||3.5||2 hrs 17 min|
|Female||3.3||2 hrs 22 min|
How Long Does It Take to Walk 8 Km on the Treadmill?
Amazingly, walking on the treadmill takes the same duration as walking outdoors. However, since the treadmill allows you to increase the incline at will (which most people do to increase intensity), the average time increases. Consequently, it takes 1 hr 33 min to walk on the treadmill for 8 km at a speed of 5.1 km/h.
- How many Calories are Burned Walking 8 Km for weight loss?
- How Many Steps to Walk or Run 8 Km by Height & Gender?
Is Walking 8Km a Day Good?
Yes, walking 8 km a day is good for your physical and mental health. Below are a few of the many benefits of walking 8km daily;
- It helps regulate blood glucose levels, which manages Type II diabetes.
- Walking is good for the heart and keeps the blood vessels wide and blood flowing efficiently, preventing blood clots and other cardiovascular challenges.
- Research on people who walk for most of their local activities shows a decline in body weight. More obese and overweight people have even more impressive results from walking at least 90 minutes daily.
- Walking 8km a day is long enough to boost your mood and get you to forget your stress and anger.
- It helps lower body strength and is suitable for preventing most senile illnesses and muscle weakness.
- Walking 8km a day helps train and manage 3k and 5k significant walks without much stress.
- It helps lower body cholesterol by burning hundreds of calories at a time.
Usually, it takes 96 minutes to walk for 8km non-stop at a speed of 5 km/h. However, it takes an even shorter time when walking at a brisk pace or when one is experienced in the art of walking and running.
The best part is that walking 8km has multiple health benefits that we cannot ignore.
Get More Info: